Skip to main content

4 Things that falling sick for a week taught me about life.

 





    Last week I had a viral fever with cough, cold, high fever and body ache. It was so bad that I was lying on the bed most of the time. I had zero energy. 

    One thing about being sick and choosing to power down was that it gave me time to think.

 

So here are a few things I realized about life when I was sick:

 

 

1.   Falling sick makes you feel like you have little to no control over your life. 

 

I’m usually the kind of person who plans things ahead and follow through. When I fell sick, I realised that sometimes you need to put things on hold and take care of oneself and rest when needed. I remembered that saying “Everything is super important until you are sick, then you realize the only thing that was important was your health

 

 

2.   Health is valuable and fragile — take care of yourself!

    Ignoring your body’s needs—such as getting enough sleep and eating well—will eventually catch up to you. Listen to your body. 

    Cook your own meals. I can’t stress this one enough. I cook all three meals by myself but when I fell sick, I realized that we had to order in… I realized and missed the taste of home cooked simple meals.

    I realized how important sleep is. Every time I took a nap, I felt my energy level rising up. Infection-fighting antibodies and cells are decreased during periods when you don't get enough sleep. So, your body needs sleep to fight infectious diseases

 

3.   Seeing a parent, who is strong as a rock, fall sick shakes you up.

 

    My son was acting very differently when I fell ill. He couldn’t see me lying on the bed. He always saw me as a superhuman. He thought nothing can weaken his mother and was sad to see me coughing and lying on bed with a terrible fever. He came near me and tried to make me laugh. He even tried singing for me. He wanted me to be up as soon as possible.  I realized the importance of the role a parent plays in a child’s life.

 

    Within few days my son also caught the viral from me, followed by my husband. Thankfully I was up by then and was able to take care of them.

 

4.The Importance of family

Since my husband was not in town the first 5 days when i fell sick, I immediately reached out to my sister who came in to take care of me. She stepped in and took the responsibility of caring for me, cooking and looking after a preschooler! 

It was not easy, but she did it with utmost empathy and love. I thanked heavens for my sister. These are the times you realize that family is everything!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18 Health tips for a glowing skin

1. Water tops the list At least 3 litre per day -  The more the better . Water a day keeps pimples away 2.Fruits Oranges,Lemon,Papaya,Pomegranate,Banana are a few of the fruits among the big list. 3. Veggies Spinach ,Beet root ,Cucumber ,Lettuce ,Carrot ,Tomato 4. Avoid non veg. As crazy as this sounds avoid non veg as much as possible especially the deep fried ones! You can have boiled egg it will be enough to satisfy your body's protein content . 5. Avoid coffee and tea Anything with caffeine is bad for skin 6 Green tea Green is great for skin .Add a few drops of  lemon to avoid that raw flavour of green tea 6. Avoid chocolates candies or cookies or kind any DIRECT sugar 7.Drink half a cup of curd/yogurt every day at dinner ! It's a probiotic- useful for your digestive system 8. NO inbetween snacks ! 9. Consume pulses and legumes 10. Nuts- almonds,peanut , cashew. A handful a day will help 11. Juices. It must be home made. Vegetable or fruit j

Follow your Passion, It will lead you to Success!

  Name: Bittu Jacob Owner of Baked for you by Bittu   1. Why did you pursue baking as career?   During my school days I enjoyed baking with my ‘Amma’. After getting married I used to bake occasionally at home and when we had guests at home.   On my son’s 5 th   birthday, I decided to make a fire truck shaped fondant cake. It was my very first attempt baking a fondant cake from scratch. When my family saw the cake they were quite impressed. To be honest the cake tasted lovely but it was not like those very neat fondant cakes . My family encouraged me to level up my skill by attending cake décor classes.       So I attended a class and learned the basics of cake decoration. Even at that point of time I never thought of taking this up professionally. That same year (2016) in the month of December my Appa asked me to bake 10 cakes to gift his friends. I was nervous about this but my Appa had full confidence in me. He convinced me to go ahead with it. And Guess what? It

The dot, turban and the hijab.

                                         It was another day at middle school. I still had not made any friends. Well , the truth is I really tried but no one  wanted to be my friend. It was lunch time and I was looking for a place to sit in the cafeteria. This is one thing I dread the most. Everyone had a group of friends of their own. The popular group sat in the corner. They were the cheerleaders, basketball players, kids with good looks (most of them wore makeup so cannot really tell if they were really good looking) and then there were the rich kids who only wore only branded clothes , shoes.  I certainly did not belong there because I didn’t have the skinny body type which those cheerleaders had. Forget sports. I cannot even do ten push-ups straight. I wore clothes which I got on sale from JCpenny and not Armani, Gucci or Nike. When it came to looks neither did i  wear fake lashes nor did I have hair extensions.  I did not have a tongue piercing, ta