Skip to main content

This is why I deactivated my Facebook 6 years ago ....

 

 

 

 



A Photograph of Preeti enjoying being out in the nature



Name:  Preeti Ann Cherian

Age: 33

Works as a Junior Architectural Designer at Sixteen Degree Studio

Location: Canada

 

 

1.     How long has it been since you quit social media?

 

I deactivated my Facebook around 6 years ago & Instagram about 5 years ago.  I use WhatsApp only to communicate via videocalls or messages to my family and close friends circle back in India.

 

2.     Do you miss being active on social media?

 

No, Absolutely not. 

Even when I used social media I wasn’t very active on it. Initially I thought I would miss it but being busy helped me get over it. I didn’t have time to think about it.

 

3.     What are your hobbies?

 

Cycling, Reading, and anything that has to do with Sports

 

4.     Have you ever felt left out in conversations among friends because you don’t use social media?

 

Not really. I just listen to them but it never really bothered me much.

 

5.     During this pandemic did you ever feel like you want to get back on social media?

 

Again No! I think it’s mainly because I was never really a social media person. It was never my GO-TO place.

 

6.     How do you think social media is affecting the world today?

 

It literally takes away a massive amount of time from people. It portrays a one-dimensional perspective. It can be superficial. No one knows what is really happening behind the screen making one forget the reality of things.

 

7.     What are the major disadvantages you see in people addicted to social media?

 

     Their Life revolves around it so every activity they do from the way they dress, the way they talk or what they eat is posted online. They think to themselves “What can I show the world today”. But according to me it’s just a lot of time spent trying to please people you don’t even know.

 

8.     What are the advantages you have over people who use social media?

 

I have never thought that I have more advantage over others but I do feel that because I’m not using social media I’m not answerable to anyone. I do things that I strongly believe in and others don’t have a control me over what I’m saying or wearing.

 

9. What are your thoughts on YouTube?

YouTube has come to my rescue for so many DIY projects. Ever since we moved into our new home YouTube has benefitted me when it came to making DIY decors, DIY Projects etc.

 

10.Do you use a smartphone? If yes, would you shift completely to a Flip phone if given a chance?

      Yes, I do use a smartphone. Sometimes I do feel like switching to a Flip phone like the olden days but not sure if I’ll be able to do it. But then again, I also feel like I’ll do fine.

 

11.Does technology simplify life or make it more complicated? Share your thoughts!

 It can do both. It depends on how you use it.

For example: Since I stay abroad WhatsApp has simplified communication for me. I could call my parents anytime of the day without paying a heavy phone bill like olden days. I could even see them via videocall. I’m an architect by profession and technology has simplified the work that I do. We can produce accurate drawings quickly using various software’s.

Technology was ideally created to decrease our effort and increase our time but it can become complicated if we are always behind the screens. It takes away our time from being around our family and we often miss out on important tasks in front of us.

 

12 .What do you think are the biggest downsides and upsides of being famous on social media?

 

The upside is that it is a good platform to have the right influence on so many people around the world. You can help a person become a better individual just by your influence. But the downside is unfortunately not every influencer uses it in the right way.  It can have a negative influence as well.

Another downside is that once you become famous on social media your followers might have set a standard for you. You end up having to live / talk /dress according to that standard and the minute to fail to do so you are pulled down by those very own followers.

13. Do you think being inactive on social media affects your career growth? E.g.: Losing out on opportunities on LinkedIn.

 

More than affecting my career growth I might have missed out on learning opportunities  shared by people on their social accounts which might have benefitted me but in my field of Architecture we still have magazines that keep us updated as of now. So it has not yet affected me.

14. Describe your idea of a perfect day?

A perfect day would be waking up early and having a healthy breakfast. Going for a walk/cycling or going for a drive through the countryside or just being out in the nature. Just a very laid back life would be perfect for me. 

 

15.Did the pandemic increase your overall time spent online?

During the pandemic I started following cricket. I started listening to cricket analysis.

 

16. Do you use the Alarm Clock, Calendar, and To-do list(Notes) on your phone?

Alarm Clock – Yes

Calender-Not much

To do list- Sometimes. Only for those things that I know I will end up forgetting

 

17.Would prefer to take photographs using a camera or your phone?

 I would prefer a camera anyday but I end up using my phone to click photographs because that is most easily always available with me.

 

18.Do you watch movies/documentaries on Netflix/Hot star/Amazon Prime? If No do you feel it is a waste of time?

 Once in a while I watch a movie on Amazon Prime. Since I don’t watch it frequently I don’t feel it is a waste of time.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18 Health tips for a glowing skin

1. Water tops the list At least 3 litre per day -  The more the better . Water a day keeps pimples away 2.Fruits Oranges,Lemon,Papaya,Pomegranate,Banana are a few of the fruits among the big list. 3. Veggies Spinach ,Beet root ,Cucumber ,Lettuce ,Carrot ,Tomato 4. Avoid non veg. As crazy as this sounds avoid non veg as much as possible especially the deep fried ones! You can have boiled egg it will be enough to satisfy your body's protein content . 5. Avoid coffee and tea Anything with caffeine is bad for skin 6 Green tea Green is great for skin .Add a few drops of  lemon to avoid that raw flavour of green tea 6. Avoid chocolates candies or cookies or kind any DIRECT sugar 7.Drink half a cup of curd/yogurt every day at dinner ! It's a probiotic- useful for your digestive system 8. NO inbetween snacks ! 9. Consume pulses and legumes 10. Nuts- almonds,peanut , cashew. A handful a day will help 11. Juices. It must be home made. Vegetable or fruit j

Follow your Passion, It will lead you to Success!

  Name: Bittu Jacob Owner of Baked for you by Bittu   1. Why did you pursue baking as career?   During my school days I enjoyed baking with my ‘Amma’. After getting married I used to bake occasionally at home and when we had guests at home.   On my son’s 5 th   birthday, I decided to make a fire truck shaped fondant cake. It was my very first attempt baking a fondant cake from scratch. When my family saw the cake they were quite impressed. To be honest the cake tasted lovely but it was not like those very neat fondant cakes . My family encouraged me to level up my skill by attending cake décor classes.       So I attended a class and learned the basics of cake decoration. Even at that point of time I never thought of taking this up professionally. That same year (2016) in the month of December my Appa asked me to bake 10 cakes to gift his friends. I was nervous about this but my Appa had full confidence in me. He convinced me to go ahead with it. And Guess what? It

The dot, turban and the hijab.

                                         It was another day at middle school. I still had not made any friends. Well , the truth is I really tried but no one  wanted to be my friend. It was lunch time and I was looking for a place to sit in the cafeteria. This is one thing I dread the most. Everyone had a group of friends of their own. The popular group sat in the corner. They were the cheerleaders, basketball players, kids with good looks (most of them wore makeup so cannot really tell if they were really good looking) and then there were the rich kids who only wore only branded clothes , shoes.  I certainly did not belong there because I didn’t have the skinny body type which those cheerleaders had. Forget sports. I cannot even do ten push-ups straight. I wore clothes which I got on sale from JCpenny and not Armani, Gucci or Nike. When it came to looks neither did i  wear fake lashes nor did I have hair extensions.  I did not have a tongue piercing, ta