Skip to main content

Future forests- mesmerising or shattering



                      So you were bored with a paper and pen in your hand and what do you find yourself doing. The very next minute you are drawing trees on that paper. Isn’t that ironic? India’s paper industries are axing down hundreds of trees and other hundreds will soon meet the same fate. India’s paper industry produces over 2000 metric tonnes yearly from more than 300 mills.Fast growing hybrid eucalyptus trees lend a hand in paper making.Measures to grow more of these trees must be made consequently saving the forest.
As toddlers we remember reciting E for elephant when we learned our alphabets. Shortly that will swap to E for endangered. The Indian elephant, Bengal tiger, Asiatic lion, lion tailed macaque and Indian rhino are the few amongst the stretched out list of dying out animals. Hollywood actor Leonardo Dicaprio’s foundation promises 3 million dollars for tiger conservation in Nepal. Doesn’t that make you wonder what the big personalities in India are doing. The chandaka elephant sanctuary in Bhubaneswar is constructing barriers around the forest to secure and shelter the elephants within the province. If all the elephant sanctuaries had taken small steps like this to conserve elephants these gentle giants would have never been on the dying out list.The mouse deer is also known as the Indian Chevrotain is a petite creature with an introvert nature. With the startling drop off of this speckled organism, the forest department is breeding it in the captivity at Nehru Zoological Park.Small acts like this can erase these animals from the endangered lists.
Each of us are silenced when we catch sight of the beauty and grace of the migratory birds. Their blissful configuration across the blue makes us in stand in awe.This year the authorities of Point Calimere sanctuary on Vedaranyam coast took wide-spread measures to shield these winged guests following a steady decline in their number.We are to be blamed for not being good hosts for these visitors.
It is indeed alarming to know that India is the world’s largest consumer of fuelwood. Rural places of India is consuming the most. Astonishingly many rural places of india still does not have electricity. If electricity is made available to these areas then the fuelwood consumption will reduce to half. This is the 21st century with high decibel entertainment and high calorie food yet the rural areas are still in the dark.Feeling a twinge of guilt?
Forest fire prone areas should be kept under continual watch and new technologies to sense and detect the fire in a forest should be developed. The Government is considering setting up of a National Institute of Forest Fire Management with satellite centres in different parts of India to bring the latest forest fire fighting technologies to India. But it is  only being considered . It is not put to action. The word of lip is always there but works of the hand is not seen.
 The next time you forget to apply your sunscreen or to take your umbrella should not be the only time you think about the trees or forests. It should always be on your mind like a mantra. Many of us are not aware of the fact that the word Jungle is adopted into English by seeing the wilderness of India.Let’s leave the world drooping when they see the rich stunning forest of India.Miracles don’t just happen we have to make them happen. So let today be a start.
--- This was an article written by me for Greenclean guide 2013 essay competition....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18 Health tips for a glowing skin

1. Water tops the list At least 3 litre per day -  The more the better . Water a day keeps pimples away 2.Fruits Oranges,Lemon,Papaya,Pomegranate,Banana are a few of the fruits among the big list. 3. Veggies Spinach ,Beet root ,Cucumber ,Lettuce ,Carrot ,Tomato 4. Avoid non veg. As crazy as this sounds avoid non veg as much as possible especially the deep fried ones! You can have boiled egg it will be enough to satisfy your body's protein content . 5. Avoid coffee and tea Anything with caffeine is bad for skin 6 Green tea Green is great for skin .Add a few drops of  lemon to avoid that raw flavour of green tea 6. Avoid chocolates candies or cookies or kind any DIRECT sugar 7.Drink half a cup of curd/yogurt every day at dinner ! It's a probiotic- useful for your digestive system 8. NO inbetween snacks ! 9. Consume pulses and legumes 10. Nuts- almonds,peanut , cashew. A handful a day will help 11. Juices. It must be home made. Vegetable or fruit j

Follow your Passion, It will lead you to Success!

  Name: Bittu Jacob Owner of Baked for you by Bittu   1. Why did you pursue baking as career?   During my school days I enjoyed baking with my ‘Amma’. After getting married I used to bake occasionally at home and when we had guests at home.   On my son’s 5 th   birthday, I decided to make a fire truck shaped fondant cake. It was my very first attempt baking a fondant cake from scratch. When my family saw the cake they were quite impressed. To be honest the cake tasted lovely but it was not like those very neat fondant cakes . My family encouraged me to level up my skill by attending cake décor classes.       So I attended a class and learned the basics of cake decoration. Even at that point of time I never thought of taking this up professionally. That same year (2016) in the month of December my Appa asked me to bake 10 cakes to gift his friends. I was nervous about this but my Appa had full confidence in me. He convinced me to go ahead with it. And Guess what? It

ભૂકંપ

26, January 2001 [Republic Day]  Place: Baroda, Gujarat                                  As usual I was struggling to write an essay in Gujarati. I despised attending tuition classes on holidays but I was left with no choice. My low marks in gujarati brought me here every morning at 8. This day was no different than the other days till…. … ......……..Till I felt someone pushing my chair back and forth. I instantly turned around.  No one was there.                                                I calmed my thoughts and told myself that I must have imagined that. But the look on my teacher’s face who was sitting opposite to me made me realise that it was no imagination. I saw her looking behind her chair with uncertainty. Before I could tell her what I felt, we heard a loud thump from the kitchen. We both hurried off to the kitchen to find the kitchen shelves shaking heavily and vessels flying down one by one. We looked around the house with an insecure min